September 24, 2012

The Ultimate Irony?

Two weeks ago I went to the Reno Hot Air Balloon Races and something that I saw has been on my mind ever since.  As usual they send one balloon up with the American flag hanging from it as somebody sings the National Anthem.  Before they did this they let us know that the flag being used had just returned from the Middle East where it flew over Afghanistan in a Predator drone (which they called aircraft to hide what it was).

I thought it to be pretty ironic that a flag once considered the symbol of justice and liberty was inside of a Predator drone, a symbol of the loss of privacy and property as it helps occupy a sovereign land.  At least they didn't put it inside of a Reaper drone, the one that kills and brings terror to places the US isn't even at war with.

Most people were clapping and cheering when they heard this.  I just wanted to look the other way.

No comments: